Billy’s Backyard BBQ
Don’t know about you guys but I woke up this morning with a huge spring in my step. This wasn’t your normal Thursday, this was the day we saw the return of live sport 🏉🏉 and the day I visited the meat colossal known as Billy’s Backyard Bbq.
This wasn’t going to be your normal run of the mill review, so I decided to bring some back up. While I had many volunteers offering their services, award winning sports journalist Pete Badel put his hand up and took one for the team.
Billy’s Backyard BBQ is situated in Valley Way Mt Cotton with owners Pete & Loz operating this place for just over 12 months. These guys have run cafe’s and bars for many years. Some of you may recognize them from a episode of the Great South East while they were operating their cafe & Bar “Brown Sugar” at Victoria Point.
Now Pete’s a man’s man !!! Loves his family, beer, water skiing, motor bikes and recently found a passion for smoking meat !!!! His partner in crime Loz has Italian heritage so say no more !!!! her cooking skills are OUTSTANDING !!!!
Pre Covid this place was pumping out 55kg of wings and 35kg of brisket per night while employing 14 staff. Nec minute COVID came around and hit hard. Like most businesses income and jobs went quickly and owners started brainstorming ways to stay afloat and adapt.
Let’s face it blokes think better after a few 🍺’s and Pete came up with a genius idea. Creating a new takeaway comfort menu that included 🥧🥧🥧🥧🥧’s.
Myself and the Croatian sensation (Pete) wasted no time tucking into 2 of their master pieces. Both the Beef and pork are slow cooked for over 10 hours. While the pork was crazy insanely good, I decided to do my review on the Beef Brisket 🥧
🥧🥧🥧🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧🥧🥧🥧
1. Value for Money – $7.00 Now don’t be alarmed by this price. This 🥧 was BLOODY HUGE and weighed like a brick. Absolutely tremendous value. This was a easy score. 10/10
2. Meat Ratio – This 🥧 was stuffed like a sleeping bag in its case !!! Now we’ve all gone camping and struggled to fit the bloody sleeping bag back in its bag. Well I’m sure Pete and Loz has the same issue here stuffing chunks & chunks of meat into this pastry. Once again 10/10
3. Meat Flavour – 2 words “Bloody Insane” !!!! Massive chunks of 10 hour slow cooked beef brisket. Throw in some pepper, onion and the national juice & flavors from the meat. The meat itself totally fell apart !!!! 10/10
4. Pastry – I was expecting puff pastry on this 🥧. But I couldn’t be more wrong. For such a big 🥧 this pastry was amazing !!!! Full of flavor and held together like glue. The edges were round and so crispy !!!! The top soft and flakey. 10/10
5. Temperature – It was a little hot, but as usual I wasn’t waiting for anything. By the time I took my first bite my counterpart was already 4 bites deep. 9/10
🥧🥧🥧🥧 Overall 49/50 🥧🥧🥧🥧
Now this is a MASSIVE score !!!!! But this was a massive 🥧 !!!! Words cannot describe the taste of this beauty. The meat was insane, but for me the pastry was the real winner 🏆🏆
Just remember Pete & Loz are not bakers and never really dabbled in making 🥧’s. But these guys have a amazing talent for cooking any type of food. Like most small businesses they have had to adapt to stay alive and these guys have done exactly that.
This place would absolutely pump at full capacity, insane food, cold beers and live music, I cannot wait to bring a crew back when things return to normal. But until that happens they continue to pump out huge volumes of takeaway meat, wings and best off all 🥧’s.
Now if your around Brisbane and have already made plans for this weekend well change them !!!! With table restrictions still in place get in early and book. Better still get a few mates around home, order every 🥧 on the takeaway menu, pull out the 🍺🍺’s and watch the footy🏉 🏉 If you cannot get their this weekend make sure you put this place in your little black book. Trust me it won’t disappoint.
Once again I cannot thank Pete & Loz enough for having us in yesterday. I love sharing stores about real people having a real crack in their business. I think I will be visiting this place regularly when I’m in town, plus I’m pretty sure our Boondooma ski crew has increased by 2 especially if Pete brings out the smoker !!!