After a few days without a single , I was super keen to get to Darwin take a look around and find the best joints. So I put the call out to a few mates asking for the best places in town. The legend himself
Ben’s Bakehouse is located in Darwin’s CBD and is more than just a bakery. Owner Susannah bought this existing establishment 6 years ago and these days the place is absolutely flying !!! Every week day the place is packed with hungry CBD business workers, locals and passing tourists.
Upon entering I was totally blown away by the sheer variety of food on offer, the choices were endless. From ’s to burgers OMG the food looked outrageously delicious. All that food was getting be bloody hungry ,so it was time to start trying these ’s.
Susannah was throwing options at me left right and centre, so choosing a this week was becoming quite difficult. The list was bible thick and I was getting very confused. Suddenly “Aussie Wayne” the baker plonked one on the counter and suddenly we were set to go. It was one of his favorites “Chicken Carbonara” and he assured me this was a excellent choice.
1. Value for Money – At $6.80 this was up there in price, however this was a gourmet of the highest quality. The quality of ingredients was superb and the was bloody heavy. In terms of size it was slightly above average. Overall great value 9/10
2. Meat Ratio – Excellent !!! This pasta in a was 95% full. The lid on the pastry slightly lifted but overall you couldn’t squeeze a lot more into this . 9.5/10
3. Meat Flavour – “Next Level” The flavor was evident with every bite. The chicken pieces were generous and tender, while the bacon littered through the was beautiful. Topping this right off was the spiral pasta and the creamy sauce. The flavor was absolutely outstanding. Loved it 9.5/10
4. Pastry – The top was cooked to very well, while the base was slightly under baked. The itself was a beautiful golden brown color and had perfect shape. The stability was also excellent the was tipped on its head and didn’t move. 9/10
5. Temperature – Perfect !!!! No waiting, No burning the upper roof of your mouth !!!! 10/10
Overall Rating 47/50
This was bloody beautiful. Why would you pay 20 odd bucks for a Chicken Carbonara at a fancy restaurant in Darwin when you can lob into Ben’s Bakehouse and grab the same thing but in a . I cannot pin point one particular aspect of this because everything about it was terrific. From memory this was my second only Carbonara and I enjoyed every bit of it. How’s this for irony !!! The other carbonara was at Carby‘s Bakehouse the same fella who teed up this review.
This place is more than a bakery it’s a EXPERIENCE. I can guarantee one thing, you will leave with more than you intended to. The choices are endless. It’s no wonder why every man and his dog in the Darwin CBD comes here for breakfast and lunch.
This place oozes class and is a MUST place to stop. It’s easy to find but beware it’s only open Monday to Friday 6am to 3.30pm. If you rock up Saturday morning hungover over and fanging for a your going to be disappointed so make sure you there during the week.
Susannah you are a truly remarkable mum, operator and business women. What you have created over the past 6 years is very impressive. The love and passion you have for your staff and making incredible food is second to none. It was a pleasure spending time with you and your staff but most importantly allowing me to share your story.