The Christie Beach trip has been a dead set Pieathlon. It’s was a massive few days with bakeries absolutely everywhere, but we departed Christies Beach I had more visit to do and that was at
Becks Bakehouse Port Noarlunga at the nearby Port Noarlunga.
Becks Bakehouse is located on Clarke St Port Noarlunga. This location is one of three bakeries in the areas owned and operated by Dan and his father Tony. The three bakeries are a massive operation and I mean massive. This location alone is open 7 days a week and employs whopping 50 staff.
From the very first second I walked into the bakery I was blown away. I didn’t know which way to look. Inside was completely massive, the floor area contained a decent sized bakery section, then a separate coffee type lounge area.
Not only was the layout impressive but the food in the cabinets was even better. My eyes and mind were drifting all over the shop. Seriously, I was like a kid seeing presents under the Christmas tree for the first time. This is a bakery you could easily walk into with one product in mind and walk out with 3 to 4.
Sadly Dan wasn’t around at the time of my visit, but Renee the bakery manager was awesome and showed me around the place and introduced me to the baking team. The production area was all systems go and the team was extremely busy pumping out a huge volume of 🥧‘s. After meeting the team it was finally time to get stuck into a couple.
After sussing out the 🥧 menu for what felt like ages, I still couldn’t make a decision. So I went to Renee looking for suggestions. I asked her for something a little different. She went straight to the 🥧 warmer and bought back a “Pepper Chicken🥧” I’ve had plenty of pepper steak 🥧’s before but pepper in a chicken 🥧 well that’s something very different.
🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – $6 was pretty good value. The 🥧 was a standard size in diameter and depth. 8.5/10
2. Meat Ratio – The 🥧 was full but the middle of the 🥧 had sunk a little. Nothing major but still clearly evident. 9/10
3. Flavour – This was totally different to what I’ve ever experienced before and it was superb. Fresh chicken pieces, mixed veggies, white sauce and cracked pepper. The cracked pepper had a little bit of sting to it which added to the overall flavour. The veggies were fresh and crunchy which is so important. Overall this flavour was excellent. 9/10
4. Pastry – The top bake color and shape were excellent. Stability was superb and the 🥧 didn’t move. The flavour of the pastry was really nice and the top was golden and flakey. On the negative side, the the top, side and bottom bakes were all underbaked as photos clearly show. 7.5/10
5. Serving Temperature – Zero issues here !!! The serving temp was perfect. 10/10
🥧🥧 44/50 🥧🥧
This type of flavored 🥧 was something I would never have thought of trying and I’m so glad I did. The flavour in this 🥧 was really good and in my opinion the added cracked pepper was a mastersroke. The only real negative was the pastry being a little underbaked and this can easily be fixed or possibly could have been a one off. The actual pastry flavour was really nice. Without hesitation this 🥧 is 100% worth a try.
A massive thanks to Renee and the team for showing me around. This bakery gets crazy busy and the day I visited was no different. It’s a shame i didn’t get meet Dan and Tony. To operate 3 successful bakeries is a massive achievement and hopefully when I’m back in the area I will get to met these legends.
As mentioned earlier this place is the Bunnings of bakeries !!! Everything and anything you could ever want is here. So if you’re around the area add this place to your list.