Bargara Bakery Cafe
This weeks review saw us hit the road in the van and head north. About four and a quarter hours north of Brisbane is the coastal community of Bargara. Bargara is right on the ocean and the gateway to Lady Musgrave and Lady Elliott islands. Some of the main attractions in the area include the Bundaberg Rum Distillery and the Mon Repos Turtles. Turtles and Rum wasn’t the only reason while I was in Bargara I was chasing quality 🥧’s !!!!
I was tipped into one of the areas longest surviving bakeries and that lead me to Bargara Bakery Cafe. Owners John and Yvie have been here since the shopping centre opened over 21 years ago. Many businesses have come and gone in this centre but these guys have stood tall and eventually ran out of room. So John and his team of bakers started making their glorious creations off site in Bundaberg.
Unfortunately I didn’t get to meet John on my visit but I did manage to meet the real boss Yvie and there daughter Micaela Kuhn. I’ve heard so many stories about John’s generosity and the ridiculous hours he works. After chatting all things 🥧’s the subject soon changed to John’s other passion “greyhounds” See not only does John make great 🥧’s he trains the dish lickers and lives and breathes all things Greyhound Racing. So when he not in the bakery, John can be found training his dogs or at the races !!! What a bloody champion 👍👍 We could have chatted for hours and hours but it was time to get this review under way and I was fanging for a 🥧.
Choosing a 🥧 for this weeks review was a relatively easy choice. I was still reeling with disappointment from my 🌶🥧 challenge and wanted some sort of redemption. So when i saw the word “Jalepeno” I was extremely keen to give this 🥧 a crack and attempt to get back any dignity I had left.
🥧🥧🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧🥧🥧
1. Value for Money – Great value at $5.20 !!!! This 🥧 was a terrific size, quite deep and round. I said it many times and I will say it again any 🥧 at just over 5 bucks is bloody awesome value and this 🥧 was right up there. 9/10
2. Meat Ratio – Pretty good, this 🥧 was almost full. The photos don’t do this 🥧 any justice. There was heaps of meat in this beauty. 8.5/10
3. Meat Flavour – Loved it !!!!! The meat was mega tender while their were ample Jalepeno’s littered throughout the 🥧. The Jalepeno’s certainly weren’t as hot as the 🌶🥧 I had a few weeks ago, but they let you know they were there and had a awesome after kick. Every bit about this flavor I loved !!! 9/10
4. Pastry – fabulous !!!! Held together until the last bite. The base was full of flavor, while the top was incredibly crusty and flakey. This pastry was first class !!! 10/10
5. Temperature – Look this 🥧 was a tad 🔥 but I wasn’t sure if it was the heat or Jalepeno’s. Overall pretty good. 9/10
🥧🥧 Overall Rating 45.5/50 🥧🥧
The score may not reflected, but I absolutely loved this 🥧. The price tag was spot on the flavor was amazing and the pastry was top shelf. This was my very first Jalepeno 🥧 review and it was outstanding. If you like something that’s a little 🔥🔥 than normal you will enjoy this 🥧. While it’s not super super 🔥 it’s enough and the after kick is there.
This bakery has more than everything you need. Open 7 days a week from 5.30am to 3.30pm it’s going to have all your 🥧’s, pastries and treat cravings sorted. I’ve gotta give the vanilla slice and lamington’s are massive plug !!!! Seriously out of this world. The camping crew smashed the lamo’s and vanilla slices in record time. Parking ✅ Easy to find ✅ Friendly staff ✅ and most importantly awesome 🥧’s ✅ which makes this bakery a must stop.
Yvie and Micaela a massive thanks for allowing me to share your journey and spending your valuable time with me. After 21 years your passion burns brighter than ever, while dealing with many adversities. The hours this family works and the continuous generosity they show to sporting and other organizations around the Bundy and Bargara areas is incredible.
For me the real winner’s are your babies at home “The Greyhounds” the passion and love your family has for these animals is unconditional. The sport of greyhound racing particularly the actions of some trainers has come under the blow torch over the past few years. After chatting with you I soon realized that these dogs are getting more attention and ❤️ than your children.
Bargara is a cracking spot and 100% worth visiting. It’s been 21 odd years since I’ve been to this place and i won’t be waiting 21 years to return. We only scratched the surface of things to see and do in the area so coming back again will be on the cards.