Bangalow Bread Co
With our NT trip done and dusted and all the reviews posted it was time to hit the road and find some more bakeries to visit. We had to make a quick trip down to Gloucester to get some new draws for the Y62. This was going to be a 3 day express trip, but I still planned to squeeze in a few reviews. The first stop in was the northern NSW town of Bangalow and the Bangalow Bread Co. Bangalow Bread Co is located in Bryon Street Bangalow and the bakery is open 7 days a week. Owners Jess and Tyson took over this place a tick over 4 years and the bakery now employs over 22 staff which included 5 bakers.
This young couple took a huge gamble when they bought this place and haven’t looked back. Jess’s family have had bakeries for many years, while Tyson had absolutly zero baking experience prior and was a builder by trade.
The moment you walk into this bakery you are totally blown away by the super impressive cabinet display and the incredible smell of all their amazing products. I was like a kid in a lolly shop !!! My eyes were wondering all over the place, but they eventually landed on the jammed packed warmer.
There is an impressive variety of ’s on offer here, so making a decision on what to review was going to be a difficult decision. I had my eye on a few of the gourmet flavours but in the end went with the “Indian Lamb Curry with Potato” and gee it looked mint !!!
1. Value for Money – $7.90 is certainly creeping up there, but it’s not over the top when your talking gourmet ’s. The was a generous size in both depth and diameter and was more than acceptable. Overall this was priced pretty well. 8.5/10
2. Meat Ratio – Photos clearly show this was totally full. 10/10
3. Flavour – Huge chunks of fresh lamb, various spices, chilli, curry, potatoes and coconut milk. Every bite was beautiful and the curry flavour was clearly evident, but not overpowering. I loved the added potato, in my eyes this was a masterstroke. Great job guys !!! 9.5/10
4. Pastry – Color, shrinkage and stability were all excellent. All the bakes were great apart from the sides. Nothing major but the sides were a tad thick and slightly underbaked. The pastry had a beautiful flake to it as well. Overall the pastry was very good and throughly enjoyed. 8.5/10
5. Serving Temperature – Perfect !!! 10/10
I really enjoyed this . The flavour was unique and mouthwatering. While the curry flavour was clearly evident it wasn’t enough to blow your head off and was the perfect mix. The added potato was a brilliant add on and really complimented the overall flavour of this . The meat ratio was spot on while serving temperature was also perfect. Only negative and this was relatively minor was the side bakes were a tad thick and slightly underbaked. Overall this was quality and i would have no hesitation having another one.
To Jess and Tyson a huge thanks for your hospitality and showing me the in’s and out’s of your incredible bakery. This bakery oozes class and this is a result of extremely hard work and dedication. This young couple took a huge gamble when they bought this place and are now reaping the rewards which is pretty awesome. This bakery is first class and a absolute must visit. If your planning your own tour, you need to add this bakery to your list. Trust me you won’t be disappointed.