2023 🥧 Tour
Review no 54
Last month I made a quick trip to the nations capital to catch up with a few of my rugby league boys. While I was there I wanted to check out a few local bakeries. On the day of my arrival one of my followers sent me a message and suggeste I visit the BAKEHOUSE in the Canberra suberb of Ainslie. He said the 🥧’s were epic and the owner Baden was a ripping fella.
Bakehouse Ainslie is located in Edgar Street and is open 7 days a week and employs over 20 staff. Owners Baden and Kaylee have had this place for a tick over 4 years. Baden has been in the baking game since 1988 and his father was also a baker and well known publican in the Griffith area. Making 🥧’s and pouring beers wasn’t his only talent, see Baden’s old man was also very handy boxer and won many amateur fights around the country.
The Bakehouse sits on the site of the original Canberra Bakehouse which I believe opened sometime in the 60’s. I might be wrong but the stories in the place would be legendary. One thing that caught my eye when entering the bakery was the exceptional cabinet display, the cabinets were totally full. The variety of 🥧’s and other food on offer here is insane and everything looked absolutely incredible. After having a look around the place and chatting 🥧’s and boxing it was time to hit the 🥧 warmer and choose a 🥧 to review.
The selection of 🥧’s here is very good, but one 🥧 in particular caught my eye straight away. The 🥧 I referring to was the “Mongrel” The name alone had me immediately intrigued and I knew straight away this was the 🥧 I wanted to review.
🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – $7 represented pretty good value for this one. While the 🥧 wasn’t massive in the depth department it was still a decent diameter. Zero issues paying 7 bucks for a 🥧 of this quality again. 8.5/10
2. Meat Ratio – Photos don’t lie and this 🥧 was completely full. 10/10
3. Flavour – Loved it !!! This beauty contained bacon, fresh egg, cheese, tomato, mince, chilly and tabasco sauce. Every bite was fantastic and I really enjoyed the chilly and tabasco sauce, it gave this 🥧 a little added kick. The only negative and this was minor, was the egg was a smidge dry but nothing major to worry about. Overall the team have done a sterling job with this one. 9/10
4. Pastry – The shape, color, stability and shrinkage were all spot on. The flavour of the pastry was also very good as was the top bake. Only real negative was the slight wet lines (underbaked) on the bottom bake. Apart from this minor blemish the pastry on this 🥧 was really good. 9/10
5. Serving Temperature – Excellent !!! No issoes here 10/10
🥧🥧 46.5/50 🥧🥧
This was a great product !!! As far as breakfast 🥧’s go this one was a absolute belter. The flavour was terrific as was the pastry. The only blemishes were the bottom bake and egg being a little dry and these were only minor. If your looking for a breakfast 🥧 with a little twist, then this one is for you. Great job with this one team !!!!
Add this place to your own little black 🥧 book. This bakery is a little beauty and has everything and much more. The cabinet display sells itself and trust me you will have some tough decisions when deciding what to order.
A huge thanks to Baden, Kaylee and the team for having me in. This was a awesome review. I could have stayed and listened to Baden’s journey for hours on end, his families story is incredible. You wouldn’t meet a nicer fella than Baden and I wish him and his family all the best. What a absolute legend !!!