After smashing several ’s at Moama Bakery the previous day, it was time to head to another bakery and complete part two of our stay in Echuca.
The second bakery my mate Buster recommend was Echuca’s newest bakery and that was Bakehouse 151. Owners Ben and Jade opened this place roughly seven months ago.
Ben’s been baking game for a long time and actually spend 20 years working at Moama Bakery which was the bakery I reviewed and posted on Wednesday night.
Before the bakery opened there was a huge amount of work to do in order to get this building suitable for baking bread and glorious ’s. With the help from Dave and his incredible team from All About Bakery Equipment, this building was transformed into a paradise. These guys are the best in the business and the new counters look insane.
Employing 14 staff and open 6 days a week from 6am to 2pm this place has serious wow factor from the moment you walk in. The counter display is that good and your likely to walk in wanting to buy one item and walk out with four.
Speaking of items I was eyeing off several items in the warner and I couldn’t wait to get started. Everything I saw smelt and looked incredible and making a decision was going to be very difficult. In the end the decision was easy, Ben’s apprentice Brownie wanted me to try one of their newest and best selling ’s the “chicken carbonara and pasta”. This new creation was Brownies idea and gee it looked and smelt terrific.
1. Value for Money – $6.90 was terrific value for this . It was a generous size and the height and depth were more than acceptable. This was a gourmet and under 7 bucks !!! Excellent value 10/10
2. Meat Ratio – Not bad, a little bit of air in the top. Overall a bit more fill could have been chucked in but pretty good. 8.5/10
3. Meat Flavour – Perfect !!!! I absolutely loved it. Tender chicken pieces, bacon, cheese, mushroom, garlic and pasta. The whole flavor was magnificent, the garlic ratio was perfect and really made this . 10/10
4. Pastry – Like most of my recent reviews everything except the top and bottom bakes was perfect. The color, shape shrinkage and stability were all more acceptable, but the top and bottom and side bakes had wet lines which has affected this score. 7.5/10
5. Serving Temperature – Excellent !!! The serving temp was perfect. 10/10
Brownie has done a ripping job with this . The flavor was the standout, I loved it. Every bite was a experience and mouth watering. The price was spot on too, $6.90 for a of this size and quality is superb value. The only negative was the pasty and the wet lines. It’s a fine line getting that right but it’s so important.
If your genuine food lover you’re really going to love this place. The first thing that caught my eye was the cabinet display, as previously mentioned there is a huge chance you will walk out of this bakery with more than items than you had planned.
A massive thanks to Ben, Jade and the entire team for having me in. It takes a massive set of ‘s to leave a secure job especially after 20 and start your own business. Ben’s been around the traps a long time and I’m certain this bakery is going to be a around for a long time as well. All the best guys
This was our first visit to Echuca and it more than exceeded our expectations. There is so much to see and do here. Apart from the glorious ’s the absolute highlights were the cruise up the Murray on the paddle steamer, the Great Aussie Beer Shed and catching up with Buster and Lisa. These are friends we met in Thailand over a decade ago and it was epic to see them.