Bake My Life
With the new draws in the Y62 done and dusted it was time to leave Gloucester and punch straight back to the Sunny Coast. I was on the search for a bakery to review and Tyson from Bangalow Bakery mentioned his mate Janos owns a little bakery at Balina called Bake My Life Bakery. He said this place was a must visit, so on our way home we pulled in.
Janos had no idea who I was, but was more than happy to show me around. Janos was born and raised in Hungary and came out to Australia on a sponsored visa back in 2014. A baker for over 30 years, he soon took a keen interest in the meat and worked in numerous bakeries before opening his own bakery 3 years ago.
Located on Cherry Street the bakery is only small but gee it’s impressive. The selection of food here was incredible and absolutely everthing sold here is made fresh on the premises. The place is open 6 days a week and employs 11 people is a tiny work space. There is also plenty of room and seating outside to sit and relax.
Like most bakeries this place has a great selection of on the menu. All the usuals are on the list. When I pulled up I got chatting to one of the local punters out the front and he gave me the tip on the “Lamb and Rosemary” he said this one was a little different and worth giving a go. One thing I’ve learnt from doing these reviews is when you get a tip from a local it’s genuinely pretty spot on. So with that in mind “Lamb and Rosemary” it was !!!!
1. Value for Money – $6.90 is very reasonably priced for a of this size and the ingredients that were in it. Lamb is quite expensive these days and this needs to be taken into account. The was a standard size in diameter and depth. Overall well priced at $6.90 8.5/10
2. Meat Ratio – The was about 85% full. A bit more under the lid could have been added but overall pretty good. 8.5/10
3. Flavour – Excellent !! The flavour of this was beautiful. Everything about it was perfect. The added capsicum and potato were a genuius idea and really gave this the extra flavour. The lamb was also cooked to perfectation . Great job guys I loved it 10/10
4. Pastry – The shape, shrinkage, colour and stability were all very good. The top and bottom bakes were a smidge thick and ever so slightly underbaked, but this was very minor and easily fixed. The pastry flavour was really nice and the top was super flakey. Overall very good 8/10
5. Serving Temperature – Perfect !!! 10/10
This was up there with the nicest “Lamb & Rosemary ’s” I’ve reviewed. The flavour in particular was devine. As mentioned the added capsicum and potato were beautiful. The price was on point and serving temperature was spot on. Only negatives and these were minor was the needed a bit more fill and the top and bottom bakes slightly underbaked and a tad thick. I really enjoyed this and would have no hesitation having another one. Well done team.
Whether your holidaying, visiting or passing through Balina, this bakery is a cracker and 100% worth adding to your own little black book. It may be only small, but packs a massive punch and the hardest decision your going to have is deciding what to order.
Janos is a ripping lad and I’m so greatful for his hospitality. Upon my arrival Janos had no idea who I was and what to expect and yet he was so accommodating and it was a pleasure talking to him and being able to share his journey. He has done a epic job on this little bakery and the big fella deserves every success that comes his way. Absolute LEGEND !!!