Arthur Clive’s Bakery Cafe
The South Australia 🥧 tour is under way and to say we are excited is a massive understatement. The plan for day one was to get to Tenterfield NSW (just over the border) and having a 🥧 on that day was the furtherest thing on my mind. One thing on my mind though was stopping for a pee stop !!!! Things were getting a little grim when suddenly we saw a rest stop area with toilets.
As we pulled up we saw a truck load of cars and people absolutely everywhere pouring in and out of a place called Arthur Clive’s Bakery Cafe – Aratula. This place was crazy busy for a Sunday and I couldn’t resist the temptation and went in for a look.
I went in and introduced my self to one of the owners Dan. This bakery has an incredible history and story behind it. The 🥧 journey started way back in 1936 by Dan’s great grandfather Herb. Fast forward four generations and the 🥧 journey continues with this place showing no signs of slowing down.
This joint is crazy busy and they are open 365 days a year and employs over 30 staff. Some of these staff are also second generation workers which is quite incredible. The family have a another bakery located in Boonah which was the families original location plus are now dabbling in Buffalo farming, now that’s very cool.
As mentioned above it was flat stick when we were there, and the 🥧 warmer was getting smashed left right and centre. So choosing a 🥧 to review was getting a little difficult. The selection on offer at this place is very good but unfortunately other 🥧 legends were getting stuck into my favorite flavours. So in the end I settled for a Steak and Mushroom.
🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – 6 bucks !!! Excellent value for this bad boy. This was a good sized 🥧 and the price point was first class.
2. Meat Ratio – Full to the top !!! No complaints. Great job. 10/10
3. Flavour – Basic steak and mushroom 🥧 but the flavour was magnificent. The mushrooms were so fresh and I loved the special sauce. The Black Brew sauce is a family recipe that has been in the family since 1936 and gee it was epic. The meat pieces were huge and tender as well. Loved it !!! 9.5/10
4. Pastry – Color, shape, shrinkage and stability all more than satisfactory. Top bake was superb as was the bottom. One of the side bakes was a little thick but nothing that concerning. The pastry has a really nice flavour to it as well. Great job. 9.5/10
5. Serving Temperature – Not going to lie it was a tad 🔥, but in all fairness it came straight of the oven. Didn’t have to wait long though. 9/10
🥧🥧 48/50 🥧🥧
This was a quality 🥧 !!! Very consistent scores right across the board. Six bucks was terrific value and the flavour was spot on. As mentioned above the mushrooms in particular we super fresh and tasted so good. Also the Arthur Clive home made sauce is a real winner. No hesitations recommending this 🥧 to anyone. I’m
so glad my original choices were already sold out, as I throughly enjoyed this 🥧. Great job guys.
I will make this short and sweet !!! This place is EPIC and a place you need to stop in and experience first hand. I’m so glad we all needed pee stops otherwise we would have totally missed this 🥧 paradise.
To the entire team at Arthur Clive’s a massive thanks for having me in. Your family’s story is nothing short of remarkable. This incredible 🥧 journey started almost 90 years ago and shows no signs of slowing down. The passion you still have for the industry is very infectious. It’s inspired me to get out to more amazing bakeries like yours and share these phenomenal stories.